Saturday, August 16, 2008

Toxic "Friend"

Okay -- so, I thought a good topic for my very first blog would be on the subject of toxic friends -- and the fact that I have one. My "friend" (to use the word lightly), is someone that I have known since high school (I am now 24). I think that its one of those friendships that you are in just because you have always known the person.

The thing is - there are times that this friend is awesome to be around. We have the same sense of humor, think the same things are funny, and can usually bond over the dislike of the same people (lol). She can be very supportive at times, and can lift my mood, and make me feel better about myself.

Then there are the "other times" -- the times when she will make a comment that you can't quite tell is bitchy or not... for example "Wow, those pants are way better than the style you used to wear, they make you look way thinner";, or "I would never drive a (this is just an example), 2007 ford focus with black interior, what an ugly car", when that is the exact car I drive. You know--little back handed comments that I can't really call her on, because then I would be the one who was overreacting. I think she must do this at times when she is feeling insecure about herself or something, because its always a little comment to kind of "cut me down to size", or "put me in my place" -- basically just to make me feel like shit.

I probably should just end all contact, but its hard to do.

No comments: